THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

FREEDOM

Have you ever noticed that people nowadays are fond of talking about life and freedom? Thinking, quoting, discussing, even writing laws about them?
We often mention how good it is to be free as a bird, as insouciant and carefree.
What we don´t seem to notice, however, is how frequently we seem to take these words for granted.


At this moment, there are estimately 6,824,000,000 people on this planet, eating, dancing, singing, loving, hating, sleeping, celebrating, mourning, regretting, thinking, reading, etc, as they live life according to "their own masterplan", according to their will ... or according to others´.
So what are the words life and freedom everyone´s talking about?
Today, I spent most of my precious time at home, studying (thank God for not letting me procrastinate as usual) for the heaps of exams heading toward me this upcoming week, when I suddenly stumbled upon a blog on the internet concerning freedom and life as I just finished reading the news online.
I didn´t know what to think about it; at first I just thought it was just another mundane and common emo blog with its poems and posts teeming with hopelessness and misery (some were really poetic, though), until I scrolled further down and continued my perusal and landed on a post called "Pathetic Illusions"---until which I was utterly flabbergasted.


Here´s an extract of the blog which I sent to someone on Facebook (the only part I had still been able to save before my mom suddenly appeared in my room, initiated a virus scan and cleared the internet´s history):

"Today I killed my hamsters, my cat Crook, Sheilas dog Arnie and hit my 3 year old sisters head with a hammer. At first I hesitated because I was scared of what everybody else would think then, but in the end, I decided to kill them except for my sister and to simply explain the others what had been coming through my head all this time. Besides, my parents are on a business trip, so Id have to take care of the mess sometime else.
Now, dont think that Im a psycho, I did this for a reason. Do you know how powerful countries decide to start wars just for the sake of proving the countrys power? I did the same and technically, that was my reason, too. I wanted to prove how I still had the power over my body and also the freedom the world has not yet taken away from me. I wanted to prove to myself that I still am an individual who doesnt have to follow the norms, the rules. Someone who can still do what he wants, unlike you and everyone else.
Youd think Im crazy, but I think otherwise: this world is the one who is. People dont do what they want just for the sake of getting others approval and consent. People deny their identity, deny their actions, just because of their fear of recieving others contempt. Why is murder illegal when death row is legalized in other parts of the world? My opinion is: why dont you all shut the fuck up and wake up? Life may suck, but its only because we all make it suck. I killed my pets, and I dont regret it."

To tell you the truth, I still am shocked to the core and my normally big appetite seems to have disappeared since the pictures she posted in her blog of her pets´ corpses are still furiously emblazoned in my head. I´m not sure as to whether she genuinely meant it or whether she merely bluffed.
...but the only thing I know is that I fully agree with Paulo Coelho, one of my favorite authors of all time:

"Freedom is not the absence of commitments, but the ability to choose-- and commit myself to--what is best for me."

Anyway, what do YOU think?



still craving for my personal freedom,
Renee.

2 squiggle(s):

AddyLP said...

i fully agree with Paulo Coelho too!
hmm ja.. fredoom x war ... always the same :(

AddyLP said...

i'd add sth though "...and commit myself to--what is best for me and for my beloved ones" :)